How it all began...
As you may imagine from its name, The Old Nick was the original police station in Gainsborough. It is an Italianate-style Grade II building at the junction of Spring Gardens and Cross Street - just past the turning into Marshall's Yard. Back in 1859 land on this site was sold to build a Magistrates' Court and Police Station.
These buildings served their purpose until 1974 when the new police station on Morton Terrace was built followed by the new Magistrates' Court on Roseway in 1978. Mr Douglas Parkinson purchased both of the old buildings in 1978 for £3,250 and in 1980 he told the members of the Old Nick Theatre Group they could use the premises for rehearsals at a peppercorn rent.
When Mr Parkinson died in 1992 he bequeathed the property to the Gainsborough Theatre Group and then the physical hard work began for the many volunteers including young people from The Princes' Trust and the National Citizens Service and volunteers from Clayton House in Gainsborough. Piles of rubbish had to be cleared from many of the inside rooms, the outside stores and around the building itself in order to make it all presentable. This took a lot of time, hard work, sweat and tears for the dedicated members of the group.
More information about the theatre company can be found at this link
The Magistrate's Courtroom, now used as a theatre and presentation space